1.04.2009

Burn After Reading

"Making a Life, Not a Living." I love those words; trying to live by them however, is easier said then done.


It amazes me that some people know exactly what it is they want to be doing. Some people fall into it; others are influenced by their parents; the fortunate ones are gently mentored by those who see a spark in them; some are born into the "family business" and learn to thrive in that environment.

I'm truly envious of those who knew exactly what they wanted at the onset, no matter how it would turn out. For example; reporter Rick Mercer was interviewing musician/artist Randy Bachman and he asked him (roughly, it's not verbatim), "You're a famous musician. What would you have done if you weren't so successful?" Bachman replied, "I'd be a poor musician." And I thought, wow, he knew, he just knew what it was he had a passion for. Usually people like that are successful due to the fact that they remain so focused and determined to get what it is that they want. I'm generalizing, of course.

To be or not to be satisfied with what one does in ones life, that is the question. I ponder this, this very day as I'm feeling rather melancholy as I return to work tomorrow, having had a break over the holidays. Alas it's back to the grindstone.

I am a true believer in taking responsibility for ones own life, and by no means am I griping about what it is that I do - however, putting that aside for a moment, I cannot deny the sad feelings that have come over me at this very moment, where I feel like I did when I was a kid heading back to school after summer vacation. Do you know that feeling? Where your very soul weeps for greener pastures, and where you desperately want to be free to just be. This to shall pass, however, for now it's a bummer to be feeling this way.

When these feelings come over me, I find I need to rely on myself even more, and try to get to the bottom of what's going on in my heart and in my head. I use to wait for the feeling to pass, and then one day I realized; hey wait a minute, this is a signal. I need to tap into myself and figure out what it is that's going on.

My thought is that a lot of us are walking zombies. We just "are," and we just "do." What's that all about? We even expect others to just "do." We tend not to except people as they are, to just be. We always seem to be conforming, and when we do, we just do it. I see this a lot in the conventional corporate world. The work mentality seems to be - rules for rules for rules sake, which is ridiculous. I asked once why a certain rule was in place, the response I received: "Well if this rule wasn't in place then people would be taking advantage of the system." Hmmmm, so, right off the bat this says to me, that people don't trust people. 

I'm on a tangent, don't get me started .... I'm in a funked out mood because I'm still trying to figure out how to get to "Making a Life, Not a Living."

Burn after reading ...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment