12.21.2008

Spinning In River City

As I start typing the first words on this blog I am compelled to use the title "Spinning In River City." It came to me from the musical "The Music Man." The show is based on a story by Willson and Franklin Lacey. The plot concerns con man Harold Hill, who poses as a band leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to naive townsfolk before skipping town with the cash. In River City, Iowa, prim Marian the librarian sees through him, but when Hills helps her younger brother, Marian begins to fall in love with Harold. Harold, in turn falling for Marian, risks being caught to win her.


It has everything; intrigue, love, deception, naivety, compassion, and greed. The simplicity and uncomplicated title of "The Music Man" brings to mind such mass interpretation. To this point I equate our world as such, a spinning mechanism full of contradictions, foibles, compassion, and more. My interest in creating this blog is to explore and express what it means to be human in a way that I hope will be thought provoking and interesting. I'll leave it at that for now, in its simplest form. Much more later ...

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment