12.31.2008

The Whole Damn Thing

As I'm sitting here, fingers to keyboard, I'm being rather reflective as we move into the New Year. This reflection has me painting broad strokes in my mind that move from frivolity, narcism, bailouts, excessiveness, goodwill, vanity, and back again.


What comes to mind immediately is my recent boxing day experience of walking into the expensive stores and seeing people buying merchandise like it they were spending pocket change. To this point I actually overheard a couple talking about how horrible the economy was, how concerned they were about the big 3 (car industry), and the fact that they lost a lot of money in the stock market - meanwhile the sales clerk was holding  a floor length fur coat saying "Is there anything else I can show you?" as they proceeded to pay for the $$$$$ coat.

In another corner of the world where I live, I see from my car window the kind gesture of a women helping another women with a walker get unstuck in the snow as they both found themselves walking across the street at the same time. The one woman was helping from behind to nudge the other so that her wheels would break free from the snow bank. The woman with the walker, who was severely hunched over, attempted to turn her body to give the other woman a thank you nod. It was heartwarming.

Earlier the same day, I'm working out at the gym I frequent to get smack dab in the middle of a conversation about botox injections and that "anyone who is anyone is getting it done." I happened to be in a line of cardio machines where the women to the right and left of me were talking around me. Which is quite surprising as you would think they would want to keep a conversation like this one on the QT. I say that because they were listing off names of people that had recently had "work" done, and I knew a few of the people they were talking about! Yeesh, so now when I bump into these people I'm going to have to stop myself from inspecting their faces. Oh, ya that's going to be easy.

Look, I do not profess to be a goody two-shoes (what the hell does that mean anyways?), and by no means am I a prude, I just wish people would give more thought to their actions. We live in such an instant gratification world that I sometimes think that I'm the only one who ever remembers that it wasn't always like this? Was it? No, really, was it?

What happened to "all good things come to those who wait."

That's my small rant for today. And yet I am very optimistic for a happy and healthy 2009. Ok, There will still be the same idiots doing the same senseless things; and frivolous people doing frivolous things; and yet there will also be wonderfully kind people doing wonderfully kind things. To which I say ... this whole damn thing is one peculiar life. I'm here for the long haul. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment