12.29.2008

A Little Magic ....

I'm constantly amazed at how we as human beings are ever evolving. It seems in most cases at the speed in which we're ready to invite change; their is no black and white to how we develop. We are fragile beings with tentative souls and careful hearts.


Interestingly today I was at a store I frequent, and spotted dzi beads (pronounced "Zee") hanging on a jewelry tree (more about what they are in second) and mentioned to the woman behind the counter how I've had some interesting "luck" wearing the dzi beads that I purchased a while back, and went on to talk about the beads and their "magical" properties. As I was talking about them there were a few people in line behind me listening (I was checking out, and not holding up the line by any means). I tried to answer a few questions with the limited knowledge that I had about the beads; and then as I was getting ready to leave the store .... the 3 people in line bought the beads! Now, I'm by no means one of those people that can sell anything to anybody, except for the fact that I tend to be a tad enthusiastic about things, and yet I couldn't help thinking that perhaps their motivation was due to the fact that the new year was fast approaching and perhaps these people were looking for a little magic for the start to the year? Perhaps it was because we're all just a little nervous about the economy and by wearing the beads it just might provide a little comfort? Who knows, I wasn't going to analyze it to death. I was just so interested in the fact that 3 people, one after the other bought the beads. Curious. 

Here's the 411 on what dzi beads are as defined on Wikipedia: it's a bead stone of mysterious origin going back @ 3000 years. The bead is thought and expected to provide positive spiritual benefit. They are generally prized as protective amulets and sometimes used in traditional Tibetan medicine. Beads that are broken are believed to have diluted benefit because they have taken the brunt of the force that would have otherwise impacted the wearer. The meaning of the word "dzi" translates to "shine, brightness, clearness, splendor."  In traditional Chinese, the bead is called "heavens bead" or "heavens pearl." There's more information on this on the web and in books, and if interested I encourage you to check it out further - for example there's ever a certain way to wear them.

For me, the take away on this is: "We welcome something new when we're ready to receive it." Three people today were ready to receive, explore, whatever you want to call it. I find that fascinating.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment