2.28.2009

Happy Saturday!

I love Saturdays. Despite the fact that I'm not feeling the warmth, nor seeing/feeling the green grass beneath my feet.

There is something about Saturdays that are so freeing.  In my world it translates into being free from obligation, commitments, and schedules. The mere fact that I can wake up without an alarm, leisurely have a cup of coffee, read what's going on in the world without rushing (although this has its good and bad points) is heaven.

I also recognize that I see much clearer on a Saturday. I'm much more aware of my environment, the people I'm with, the activities that I'm doing. I think because I feel I have the time to relish in it. Why I'm not as aware of these things during the week, as much as I am on a Saturday, is my query. Although, I think it's because I'm not living in the moment during the work week. I'm very much preoccupied with other things.

Interestingly enough, a number of years ago I took a course called "Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)" http://mbsrtraining.com This program was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D in Prevention and Behavioral Medicine at University of Massachusetts Medical School. Through the practice of meditation and body awareness we learned how to recognize reactive stress causing thought patterns. It was pretty interesting. It certainly helped me to be more mindful, and to minimize distractions. Hmmmm, I need to revisit this.

As I enjoy this wonderful Saturday, I am going to remember my mindful state and transfer this to my work week.

Truly, I hope that you too have a wonderful day.

Happy Saturday!

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

  1. Oh how true - we fly thru the week totally unconscious of present moment living. Weekends seem so darn necessary for a break, a rest, time to breathe. I love J.K.Zinn - how lucky you attended his session. I've been reading/studying/practicing what I've learned from Eckhart Tolle this past year. It takes constant awareness and present moment living but wow is it worth it! Have a great weekend!
    suZen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Saturday.

    I watched a YouTube video with Jon Kabat-Zinn speaking and I learned so much. My new spiritual goal is become more mindful but I don't really now what to do about it. I have so many that I have not committed the time to meditation and study so I feel a little lose. Thank you for the link, now I have some where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I always get an extra spring in my step beginning at 5:00 on Friday! A Saturday with nothing planned is my kind of Saturday :D
    Hope you have an enjoyable day!
    carma

    ReplyDelete